I love sushi! Buuuuut, I live in a small town with only one sushi place this is ridiculously over priced. Years ago when I worked in the mental health field, one of my clients wanted to learn to make sushi. So, googled and YouTubed how to make sushi. I took that memory and my newer cooking skills to make my own creation! It is vegan but you can add crab or shrimp if you want. We’re native Marylanders, so Maryland blue crab with old bay has an abundance of happy memories!
Sushi A La Cherise
- 1 jar roasted red pepper halves
- 1 small red onion
- 1 orange pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1 cucumber
- Sushi rice (I use Nishiki)
- 1 pkg halved seaweed sheets
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
*You will need a bamboo mat
*Optional: Crab mixed with old bay
- Make your rice. You can make it on the stove of microwave but I prefer a rice cooker because you don’t have to do anything. I add a bit more water than the directions say. I do 3 cups sushi rice to 4 and 1/2 cups water.
- While the rice is cooking you can start cutting your veggies. For the cucumber, I peel it and then cut it in a half and use a small spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then I cut that into smaller thinner pieces. Remember, it’s sushi, so you don’t want huge pieces, but an even amount of each thing you’re putting into your sushi.
- For the avocados, I cut them in half, remove the seed and then cut each half in half so I have fourths. That makes it easier to peel them out of the skin. Then you can cut those thinly pretty easily at that point.
- I get the roasted red pepper halves so I can cut them to the size I want. Then cut the onion and orange pepper to appropriate size as your other veggies. Take your time with your veggies and knife cuts, since you’re not cooking anything, you can take that extra time.
- Microwave the rice vinegar and sugar until the sugar melts into it and mix that into your rice when it’s done.
- Sometimes I can only find the big sheets of seaweed, and that’s ok, just gently cut it in half. Then put a sheet of seaweed on your bamboo mat and cover it in some rice. Moosh the rice down with your fingers and smooth out covering the whole sheet of seaweed so it’s kind of translucent looking. You can dip your fingers in a little water so the rice doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Flip the seaweed over so that the rice is now on the bamboo mat. Lightly fill your roll with whatever veggies you want. I like to do make a plethora of different varieties, so with each roll, I make a different couple veggie combo. I really like to get the different textures in each one. Something soft, something crunchy.
- Then roll up your roll in the bamboo mat. Wipe a serrated knife with a wet rag and then cut your roll into 6 equal pieces.
- And repeat until you use up everything!
- Dip in soy sauce and go crazy! Sometimes I drizzle sriracha over mine!