We go vegetarian about one or two meals a week. Usually we’re vegan, but we like cheese, what can I say. Harm reduction is key. I used to make a BBQ Burger Casserole for potluck dinners. It was amazing and always was the first to go. So today I decided to try making it vegetarian!
Substitution ideas: You can always replace the cauliflower with a ground meat if you’re into that. Just make sure you cook your meat beforeeeee putting it in the casserole. You could also replace the noodles with spaghetti squash for a healthier version. If you wanted to go full vegan, you can use the vegan versions of the dairy products.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 onion of your choosing
- 1 block of cream cheese
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8oz shredded cheddar
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 3/4 c BBQ sauce
- 1 bag of egg noodles
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO or Pam
- Chop your cauliflower and onion in small pieces. Toss with a little EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Then roast in the oven on 400 for about 20 mins.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, cook your noodles according to the directions on the package. You’re going to cook them again in the casserole so al dente is probably best.
- When the noodles are done, drain and mix with the sour cream and cream cheese.
- When the cauliflower is done, toss with the BBQ sauce and ketchup.
- Spray a 13X9 pan and put half of the noodle mixture in the bottom and cover with half of the cauliflower mixture on top. Then put half of the shredded cheese. Then add the rest of the middle mixture, then the rest of the cauliflower mixture, then the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven around 350/375 until the cheese is melted, about 20 mins, depending on your oven.