Ok, so, I forget to get peppers at the grocery store. We had some leftover Tostitos, Greggy used them as a dip and I crushed mine on top. My point being, it’s a great stuffed pepper recipe but you could also just eat it straight up!
This is another one of those ‘use what you have left in your fridge and cabinet’ dishes, so feel free to omit and/or add your own things!
- 2 bags of minute brown rice (or about 4 cups of your favorite brown rice)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn (I used about 1/2 a bag of frozen corn because that’s what I had on hand)
- 1/2 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 bag baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- 4-6 peppers for stuffing (depends on the size of your peppers)
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Cook your rice, if you haven’t already.
- In a large pan, sauté your onion (and frozen corn if you’re using that and not the can) in the EVOO on medium heat.
- After about 5 mins, add your Spinach, minced garlic and spices.
- 3 mins later, add your beans (corn if you’re using can) and rice. Stir it all up and then add your spaghetti sauce as you remove it from the heat.
- You can eat it as is or with chips. OR you can stuff your peppers and put in a 400 F degree oven for about 25 mins until your peppers are the texture you prefer. You can add vegan cheese on top before baking if you’re feeling crazy.