Have you seen the viral video of the beer can red cabbage BBQ? I’ve been wanting to make that for a LONG time! I figured camping would be the best!
Then I remembered that alcohol is prohibited in the park we stay and all my beers were in bottles. So, I couldn’t obviously have alcohol products sitting out in the open on my Fire for an hour!
Yes, you read that right….alcohol is prohibited but I still had a plethora of beers. You can’t camp without beers to make you forget about all the bugs! 😂
So, this is MY version of a red cabbage beer BBQ and it was amazing!
As you can see in the above picture, I used Flying Dog’s Mango Habanero IPA. There are so many craft beers you can use but this one spoke to be because I was slow cooking it on the fire. I wanted that sweet heat taste from the mango habanero with a hoppy after taste. I enjoyed this combo!
Just like with the Vegetable Medley recipe I posted, Dutch oven placement and safety is key!
- 1 large red cabbage
- 1 large onion of your choosing
- 1 beer of your choosing
- 1 jar BBQ sauce of your choosing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your Cabbage and onion in thin slices and fill up your Dutch oven
- Then cover with your entire beer and some salt and pepper
- Put on fire for about an hour, stirring occasionally. You can use the lid for the first half hour to get a great steam, and then take the lid off to start letting the beer evaporate
- If your Cabbage and onion becomes soft and cooked but not all your beer has evaporated, you can pour a bit out using the lid to hold the veggies inside
- Then add about half a jar of your BBQ sauce and stir. Let that heat up on the fire and caramelize a bit and thicken before you take it off the fire. Maybe about 10 mins
- Then you can serve on buns or put in a mountain pie maker for a deliciously fire charred treat!