I tried Field Roast’s Chao Tomato Cayenne Cheese the other day in my Vegan Buffalo Taquitos and it was everything! It melted so well that I figured, why not try a Vegan Mornay Sauce for a macaroni and cheese that will blow any omnivores mind. Here’s the thing……
I nailed it. I’m totally going to toot my own horn on this one. I used the Tomato Cayenne and the Creamy Original for this recipe. The tomato cayenne reminds me of a ‘pepper jack’, so for your kiddos gentle palettes, you could certainly do two of the creamy original.
- Ziti noodles (or any shape of your liking)
- Chao Tomato Cayenne
- Chao Creamy Original
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk (or any nondairy milk of your liking)
- 1/4 cup vegan ‘butter’ (earth balance or smart balance is good)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles according to package, drain and set aside.
- Use the noodle pot to melt the vegan ‘butter’ on low. Then add the flour and whisk for one minute.
- Add a little bit of the cashew milk and whisk until smooth. Then add the rest of the cashew milk and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Continue whisking until simmering and turn down the heat to medium. Whisk fairly frequently for about 10 minutes.
- Shred the Chao cheeses while the sauce is cooking.
- Once the sauce has thickened to a gravy type texture, add the mustard and then start adding the Chao cheeses slowly until melted.
- Add noodles and stir.