Oh you read that right my dear! We’re going to use eggplant today but you can certainly replace that with carrots or even mushrooms.
- Medium sized eggplant
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together all ingredients (except the eggplant) and set aside.
- Peel your eggplant and then cut it into quarters, long ways.
- Using your mandolin, slice your eggplant quarters long ways into ‘bacon’ sized pieces.
- Dip eggplant pieces into the sauce mixture and gently shake off the excess and lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet. I just lightly greased mine but you can use parchment paper if you have a fancy baking sheet. Mine is already janky so it didn’t matter.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes, flipping half way. Keep an eye on your ‘bacon’ to make sure you’re not burning it. You want them to be thin and slightly crisp. But I will say that they actually get much more crispy once they have cooled.