Oh. My. God. Growing up in Maryland, I couldn’t live without crab cakes. But, I went vegan. Hm. Dilemma.
Artichokes, you guys!!
Replace crab with artichokes and then I found this beautiful vegan mayo too!
Also, crab is expensive, so if you’re on a budget and want a taste, this is a great alternative for the wallet too.
You don’t have to use ritz, it’s just what I had in my cabinet. You could use bread crumbs or other cracker varieties too.
- 2 cans Artichoke hearts
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp old bay
- 3/4 sleeve ritz crackers, smashed
- Use a food processor to shred your drained artichokes. About 6 pulses will do it, make sure it looks like crab.
- Add all of your ingredients together and form into patties while your oil is heating up on the stove in a pan, about medium heat.
- (Use less or more old bay to taste)
- Fry those babies about 3-4 mins each side and put on a paper towel after to get the extra oil off
- Eat them and feel no crab guilt! I like to add a little stone ground mustard or sriracha on top of mine.
You can also replace the lime juice with DuClaw’s Gose O’s brew!
If you’re looking for a bomb real crab recipe, this one is my favorite! 👇🏼https://midnightmunchiesandmore.com/2017/03/20/crab-cakes/
4 Comments Add yours
I have some jarred artichokes but they’re marinated. Is it ok to use those or must they be the canned or frozen variety?
Oh yeah you can totally use the marinated ones
I don’t think we have “Old Bay” here in Canada! Anything I can substitute?
You can make your own and/or add some crushed nori pieces…here’s a copycat old bay recipe https://thisoldgal.com/homemade-old-bay-seasoning-recipe/