I was obsessed with my original Vegan Pretzel Pizza with vegan mozzarella and all that jazz….but then I made this bomb Balsamic Caramelized Onion Hummus and was too lazy to driveline an hour to buy the vegan mozz because I live in a teeny mountain town.
So I came up with this concoction and I gotta say….I was immediately obsessed! I had to fight my fiancé for the last piece 🤣
Be sure to watch my video for more tips, tricks and fun!
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup water (+2 cups extra)
- 2 and 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 packer active dry yeast
- 2 and 1/4 cup flour (plus extra for kneading)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter replacement, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt (+1/2 tsp salt extra)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the hummus:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 zucchini
- The first step is to start making your dough. So, add the yeast, the sugar, the almond milk and the 1/2 cup water together and set aside to bloom.
- Then melt your vegan butter replacement and set aside to cool.
- Once the yeast has bloomed, add the melted but cooled vegan butter, flour and salt…stirring with a spoon or spatula.
- Once that has started to come together, pour it out on to a floured surface and knead for about 3-5 minutes until it comes together well and isn’t grainy.
- Put that dough ball into a large greased bowl and cover and then let sit to rise for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- While your dough is rising, you can start prepping the hummus and veg.
- The hummus is just caramelizing the onions, then adding balsamic, then adding that to the rest of the hummus ingredients and blending.
- You can also roast your vegetables in a 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes. I used red pepper and zucchini but you can certainly do anything you prefer. I drizzled them with a titch of EVOO and some seasonings like garlic powder and onion powder.
- Once your dough as risen, punch it down and turn out on to a greased cookie sheet. Using your fingers, gently spread it out to fill the pan.
- In a microwave, heat up the 2 cups of water and add the baking soda and the rest of the salt. Brush that over your dough. You won’t use it all but make sure it’s fully coated because that’s what gives it that ‘pretzely’ flavor. I also sprinkled some large sea salt crystals over top but that’s up to you.
- Bake in 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Then add your hummus on top and your roasted veg on top of that.