I was searching for a homemade grillable ‘burger’ recipe for Memorial Day cookouts. I searched high and low through Pinterest and I found Dana and her husband’s version of a grillable vegan ‘burger’. The ingredients looked amazing and the steps looked simple!
You can follow her recipe here 👇🏼
Minimalist Baker Grillable Vegan Burgers
I will also add the simple changes I made to mine below! Dana and her husband absolutely nailed the flavors and textures and I will be making these all summer long!
- 1 can black beans, drained rinsed and dried
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 c. + 1/3 c. Panko bread crumbs
- 1 c. Cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Toast 1 cup of the panko bread crumbs in a frying pan on medium heat for just a couple minutes. Put them aside.
- Add EVOO to that same pan and sauté your chopped onions.
- Cook your brown rice if you haven’t already. I just used the minute rice in a bag and it worked just fine, but you can use any brown rice recipe you prefer. The fluffier the better though, I will say.
- Place the toasted panko, sugar and all your spices in a food processor and pulse a few times until the panko is more like a meal.
- Mash your beans with a fork, leaving a few whole beans seen, but not many.
- Put your beans, rice, onions, bread crumb/spice mixture, BBQ sauce and the last 1/3 cup of regular panko in a bowl and mix until combined well.
- Form into patties. I got 6 good size, bun fitting, patties out of the mixture. Then you can grill them or fry them in a pan! I’m thinking of cooking them on the fire when I go camping!
- I had mine with tomato, vegan mayo and onion but you an top them with whatevs! Enjoy and thanks again Dana for your inspiration and amazing recipe!