I was looking for a good sandwich idea for Greggy for lunches since he works construction. We loved the Eggplant Parmesan so much, I thought this was a great idea!
You can make the sandwich an Eggplant Parmesan sandwich or I was thinking of using it like a ‘chicken’ sandwich and top with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch. Or maybe tomatoes, Spinach and vegan mayo! The possibilities are endless!
Here’s my recipe for the Eggplant Parmesan. That recipe is vegetarian but I made this eggplant vegan!
- 1 egg plant
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 c panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 c cashew milk (or your favorite non dairy milk OR a vegan egg replacement)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut eggplant in thick ‘steak’-like slices.
- Put 3 bowls in a row. Place the flour and a little salt and pepper to taste in the first bowl, the non dairy milk in the second and the bread crumbs in the third.
- Keep one hand the ‘dry’ hand and one hand the ‘wet’ hand. Using your dry hand, place an eggplant slice in the flour to coat and then place in the milk. Use your wet hand to make sure it covered the eggplant and then place on the panko bowl. Use your dry hand to coat the eggplant in panko and place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat for all eggplant slices.
- Bake eggplant for about 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Put on a vegan bun with your favorite spaghetti sauce or top with anything! It’s a very versatile sandwich idea!