Growing up, we had many a sloppy joes with a single mom income. I wanted to see if I could veganize it so I felt like a kid again…..even though the ingredients were super questionable from Walmart’s discount section. Shit. Just. Got. Real. Full How To Video
- 16 Oz sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1/2 red onion
- 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp roasted garlic powder
- 10oz can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor of sorts, pulse your mushrooms and cashews about 6-8 times, until you get a ‘meat crumble’ type size. Be careful not to do it too much, you want some chunks.
- Chop your onion.
- Put your EVOO in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add your onion, then your mushroom/cashew mix on top. Stir and sauté for about 6 minutes, then turn down the heat and keep cooking for about another 5 minutes, until your cashew pieces aren’t crunchy.
- In the same frying pan, move your mushroom/cashew/onion mixture to one side. On the other side, add your tomato paste and water and stir while cooking for about a minute, just to lighten that tomato paste flavor.
- Then add the rest of your ingredients, one at a time.
- Start stirring your mushroom/cashew/onion mixture in so it’s one big happy frying pan of delicious.
- Turn up the heat to medium and cook through for about 5-8 minutes until all the flavors have married. Taste test it and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve on Vegan Buns.
Serve with side of my Vegan Mac and Cheese