WayFare makes an AMAZING vegan nacho cheddar dip and I thought to myself, I want to put it in a pretzel. Then I thought, wait, I can make them bun shaped for a vegan burger!
Instead of cutting them in half as a bun because they’re filled with nacho cheese, I tried to make them flatter so I could use one on top and one on the bottom. And it worked perfectly!
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and fun!
- WayFare nacho cheddar dip
- 1 packer active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk (I used cashew this time)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp WayFare salted whipped butter (plus a little extra to brush on later)
- 2 1/4 cups flour (plus extra for kneading)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups water plus 3 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt for the bath before baking
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Then add 8 spoonfuls of the nacho cheese and spread out a little bit in a flat circular shape. Put in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, sugar, cashew milk and water and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until your yeast has bloomed.
- While you’re waiting for the yeast, melt the butter for a few seconds in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Once your yeast has bloomed, add the butter, flour and salt and mix with a spoon until the dough becomes shaggy.
- Then put dough on a floured surface and knead for about 3-5 minutes. You may need to add more flour as you knead if it gets too sticky.
- Form the dough in a ball shape and put in a greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let the dough hang out in a warm area until it has doubled in size, which takes about an hour.
- Once the dough is ready, punch it down and then turn out onto a floured surface and cut into 8 equal parts.
- Using your hands, lightly stretch and work each piece out and put a frozen cheese circle in the middle and cover it completely with the dough.
- In a large pot on the stove, add the 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Then turn the temperature down and add the baking soda and salt.
- In batches, you want to add your pretzel buns for about 30 seconds to a minute and then put on a well greased cookie sheet. You can sprinkle with coarse sea salt at this point if you want.
- Then bake them in a 465 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- When they come out of the oven, I like to brush a little extra melted butter on top because why not
- Enjoy as buns or just a delicious snack!