My college roommate’s Momma used to make us this a lot during and after college. It was so simple and easy but sooooo fucking amazing! She taught me how she learned how to make it and called it a Hungarian dish of fried cabbage with noodles. Upon research, I did see that it was pronounced a plethora of ways from a plethora of countries, but the same basic recipe.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did back then and now in vegan form! I’m so over the moon about how it turned out with a little addition!
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and fun!
- 1 pkg eggless egg noodles (I got mine from Walmart)
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 pkg lightlife vegan sausage (optional and substitutable)
- 1/2 container (8oz) WayFare vegan sour cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste (heavier on the pepper)
- Begin boiling noodles according to the package directions. On a separate burner, begin browning the vegan sausage.
- Once the sausage starts to become crumbly, add the vegan butter, cabbage and onion. Let this mixture fry up on medium heat until the cabbage and onions become pretty translucent.
- Mix the cooked and drained noodles with the veggie sausage mixture. Then add the vegan sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
4 Comments Add yours
I made this without the vegan meat, but it was a perfect meal for a day that cooking seemed daunting. Thank you.
I make this often, but without sour cream because that’s how my mother prepared it. I usually serve it with applesauce on the side. Ethnic comfort food.
I will try it with — looks delicious! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Great post 🙂