I had a little more of that crockpot cauliflower bolognese leftover and thought calzones would be fun! Because we’re still learning some low sodium recipes, it was the perfect opportunity to mess around with a low sodium vegan pizza dough recipe!
You can put anything in a calzone though, so go wild! Or make a pizza!
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and fun!
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and set aside for a few minutes so the yeast can feed on the sugar and bloom
- Add the Italian seasoning and garlic powder to the flour and set aside
- Once the yeast starts to form bubbles on top, add the olive oil and stir gently then add the flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms
- Then using your hand, get in there and knead it together until you have a smoother dough ball shape
- Cover and let rise 30-60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 475°F
- Cut dough in however many calzones you want, I did two bigger ones, you can always make them smaller or bigger
- Roll out dough and fill one side with sauce and vegan cheese or any other toppings
- Fold over the dough, crimp the edges together, cut a slit or two in the top like you would an apple pie
- Brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle with some vegan parm and bake for about 15-20 minutes
- Let rest before cutting and enjoy!