Y’all! I tried so many recipes for falafel! Starting with dry chickpeas that you soak, canned, flour, no flour, fry, bake….you name it, I tried it! And I usually ended up with this….
No good! These fall apart bitches were the bane of my existence for weeks!
I did it!
I wanted y’all to have a fool proof recipe so you didn’t go through what I did!
- 2 cans of chickpeas (drained, rinsed and dried)
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Oil for shallow frying (you can certainly bake them instead)
- In batches, pulse chickpeas 2 or 3 times until crumbly.
- Pulse your onion 2 or 3 times until minced.
- Then pulse your parsley and spices about 6-8 times.
- Mix your flour and baking powder together.
- Add everything together in a large bowl and use your hands to mix together.
- After wiping off your hands, form into balls or small ‘patties’.
- Refrigerate for about an hour. (If you’re lazy and impatient like me, pop in the freezer for about 15 minutes)
- Preheat a thin layer of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- (You could certainly bake these for less oil, I would do 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, flipping half way)
- Don’t crowd your pan, but fry about 4-5 at a time, flipping after about 2 minutes. You want to make sure they’re golden brown before flipping.
- Enjoy with some Vegan Tzatziki Sauce on Vegan Pita Bread.
2 Comments Add yours
Yum!! I have always wanted to make these, and since I was cooking today I followed your recipe and BAM, those are good!. I had to add more seasoning for my taste and I don’t have any cucumbers so I made avocado cream sauce. I totally recommend these, they are gonna be so great for my dinners the rest of the week. (I am working nights)
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love that so much!! It’s my favorite when people take my recipes and make them their own!!! Everyone’s taste buds are different so seeing the creativity is so cool! Thank you for sharing all this with me Tamara! 💕✨