This is the first thing I ever made my fiancé, 6 years ago. It was one of the staples for a potluck in our house. Truth be told, I ate half the damn thing before he came over and put it in a different (smaller) pan and pretended that’s how much it makes. 🤣
I veganized it today and I’m telling you, this brings back so many memories and such fun and love! I highly recommend it; it’s super easy to throw together.
- 16 Oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 box of noodles (I used fettuccine but you could use whatever is in your cabinet)
- 8oz container vegan cream cheese (I used Wayfare but any would work)
- 1/2 container Wayfare vegan sour cream
- 1 block Follow Your Heart Vegan mozzarella (shredded)
- In a food processor or blender, blitz the cashews and mushrooms a few times until just crumbly. Cut the onion, as well.
- Boil the noodles in a pot while you sauté the onions in a little olive oil in a pan. (I had to do this part separately because we only have one working burner but together makes it quicker!)
- Once your onions have sautéed down a bit, add your mushrooms, cashews, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Drain your noodles when they’re done according to the time on the package and then add the vegan cream cheese and sour cream to the pot and add the noodles on top. This helps it all melt together easier.
- Once all of the water is gone from the veggie mixture (like in my vegan chili recipe), add your bbq sauce and chili sauce and mix.
- Now pull out a 13×9 sized pan and start your layers. Add half the noodles to the bottom, then half your veggie mix and some of the vegan mozz. Then the rest of your noodles, the rest of your veggie mix and the rest of the vegan mozz.
- In a preheated 500 degree Fahrenheit oven, put in the casserole and bake for about 8-10 minutes until your vegan cheese is nice and melty, just like my vegan pizza recipe.