Ok ok, I hear you on the mushrooms y’all. I’m not a fan of mushrooms either…you’ve heard me say it time and time again. Buuuuuut, when you manipulate the flavor and texture, it’s game over!
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and tricks!
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 green peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus a little extra for sautéing)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sub buns
- Follow your heart provolone for the sub
- Malt Vinegar Ailoi for the sub
- Wash, pat dry and thinly slice your mushrooms.
- Preheat a pan on the stove with a little olive oil on medium high heat. Then add your mushrooms. Only stir them around once or twice. You want them to get rid of their moisture and become a bit crispy on the ends and nice and brown.
- While your shrooms are sautéing, you can mix up your marinade.
- In a blender or food processor, add a green pepper, half the onion, soy sauce, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder and onion powder. Blitz until combined.
- When the shrooms are done, put them in a bowl and cover with the marinade and let sit.
- Then add the rest of your onion and the other green pepper to the pan on the stove that you just used and sauté down.
- Now you can assemble your subs. I enjoy the FYH provolone and vegan aioli on mine but you do you boo. I also like to pop mine on a George Forman grill or in the oven after assembling to melt the cheese and toast the buns.
2 Comments Add yours
This looks so good! My husband does t like mushrooms but maybe I can disguise them in this sandwich ha!
Great post 😁