Ok ok, I hear you on the mushrooms y’all. I’m not a fan of mushrooms either…you’ve heard me say it time and time again. Buuuuuut, when you manipulate the flavor and texture, it’s game over!
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 green peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus a little extra for sautéing)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sub buns
- Follow your heart provolone for the sub
- Malt Vinegar Ailoi for the sub
- Wash, pat dry and thinly slice your mushrooms.
- Preheat a pan on the stove with a little olive oil on medium high heat. Then add your mushrooms. Only stir them around once or twice. You want them to get rid of their moisture and become a bit crispy on the ends and nice and brown.
- While your shrooms are sautéing, you can mix up your marinade.
- In a blender or food processor, add a green pepper, half the onion, soy sauce, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder and onion powder. Blitz until combined.
- When the shrooms are done, put them in a bowl and cover with the marinade and let sit.
- Then add the rest of your onion and the other green pepper to the pan on the stove that you just used and sauté down.
- Now you can assemble your subs. I enjoy the FYH provolone and vegan aioli on mine but you do you boo. I also like to pop mine on a George Forman grill or in the oven after assembling to melt the cheese and toast the buns.