I’ve been missing some old school casseroles that use that sodium filled canned cream of mushroom nonsense since being vegan. I’ve also really super missed biscuit and gravy! I will definitely be making this again to put over biscuits, I may even get crazy and add some vegan ‘sausage’ to it!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan ‘butter’, I prefer smart balance but to each their own
- 1/4 cup King Arthur flour
- 2 cups cashew milk (but any unsweetened nondairy milk will suffice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté your chopped onions in a medium sauce pan until translucent and put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan you sautéed the onions in, add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk for about a minute or two. This is your roux.
- Then slowly add your milk while whisking the roux into the milk, being sure to get up all the onion bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add a little salt and pepper and the onions.
- Continuing easily whisking for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened intoyour ‘béchamel’ or ‘gravy’ and remove from heat.
You can also get crazy and add a tablespoon of Voodoo Sauce’s Bloodline IPA Hot Sauce when you add your cashew milk! It gives it an extra kick of flavor and heat!