I’ve been watching a lot of The Great British Baking Show lately. Inevitably, I had to try making a Vegan Lemon Curd! I perused all the recipes I could find on the line. I attempted a couple and hated the results. Finally, I have perfected the Vegan Lemon Curd, in my opinion!
- 4-5 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar (no substitutes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1/8 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (full fat)
- 4 tbsp Smart Balance ‘butter’
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- Zest 2 of your lemons and then juice them all.
- Whisk lemon juice, zest, sugar, water, corn starch and salt until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a sauce pan and turn stove on medium heat.
- Whisk the mixture for about 10 minutes, until it begins to boil.
- Stop whisking and let boil undisturbed for a minute and a half.
- Remove pan from heat and add the coconut milk, butter and food coloring until thoroughly mixed.
- Then let cool to room temperature.
- Then store in an air tight container in the fridge.
- It’s great in toast or on a vegan puffy pastry!
- For the icing, I just mixed a little bit of cashew milk with powdered sugar and piped it! It can just be drizzled too.