When I was in my 20’s, I lived in downtown Frederick, MD and there was this little pizza/pretzel shop on North Market Street. They were one of the only places that stayed open after the bars closed, so it was always packed for midnight munchies! I’ve been craving it since moving and becoming vegan! Here’s my rendition!
The pretzel dough recipe that I used was that of my Vegan Soft Pretzels.
You can certainly use any pizza dough recipe of your choosing or just a regular store bought kind. The key I have found to ANY vegan pizza is the vegan ‘cheese’. Follow your heart is by far the best!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or nondairy milk of your choosing)
- 1/2 cup water + 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 packer active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 3 tbsp vegan ‘butter’
- 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 package Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella
- Vegetable toppings of your choice
- Pizza sauce of your liking
- Mix yeast, warmed almond milk, 1/2 cup warmed water and sugar in a large bowl and let sit to bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Melt ‘butter’ and allow to cool while yeast is blooming.
- Once yeast has bloomed, add flour, ‘butter’ and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix with a spatula until it comes together and then turn out onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough, adding a sprinkling of flour if it becomes too stick, for 3-5 minutes.
- Place dough ball in a large bowl that has been lightly greased. Let dough double in size for about an hour.
- While the dough is rising, you can get your vegetables ready, shred your ‘mozzarella’ and prepare your mixture to put on the dough before baking.
- Heat 2 cups water in the microwave and then dissolve the baking soda and rest of the salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once dough has risen, punch it down, then turn it out onto a greased baking sheet.
- Roll or push out dough to fill the size of your pan.
- Brush the water/baking soda/salt mixture on top of the dough.
- Par Bake your dough for about 5 minutes.
- Then take your crust out and add sauce, veggies and ‘cheese’.
- Crank up the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and cook until the ‘cheese’ is melty and gooey, about 8 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting and then enjoy!