Before becoming vegan, my grandma’s pumpkin pie was the ONLY pumpkin pie I would ever eat! Her secret recipe that she taught to my mom and then to me, was the most perfect texture! So much more ‘creamy’ and soft. It was almost more like a custard than a traditional pumpkin pie.
Fast forward to veganism and holy shit. I needed her recipe veganized so bad! I spent so much time testing and perfecting this recipe to do my grandma proud. And when I figured it out….I cried like a baby! It reminds me of her and my soul is happy to the core!
Be sure to check out my Recipe video
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 15oz can of pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
- Pie crust (I used pillsbury’s refrigerated dough because it’s accidentally vegan but please be sure to check your ingredients because I hear some people have seen that they contain lard. I have not experienced that yet but some brands switch up their ingredients. You can certainly make your own too. I would recommend Food 52’s vegan crust)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk your aquafaba for about 30 seconds to a minute until it becomes a bit frothy.
- Then add the rest of your ingredients.
- Pour mix into your prepared 9 inch pie pan.
- Carefully put into the oven for 15 minutes, then turn down the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about another 50 minutes, give or take. It will still be a tad jiggly so don’t worry.
- Once pie has cooled to room temperature, cover and pop in the fridge until fully set for a few hours or overnight.