My MIL was talking about this pineapple upside down cake that was a staple for Greg’s dad growing up. We ended up making it for the Super Bowl and then TikTok wanted the recipe. Y’all know me, I’ll share away!
The whole family was happy! I used Greg’s grandmas recipe and switched up just a bit so it’s vegan too!
Be sure to check out my TikTok too and follow me!!! https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdS23cCE/
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Yellow box cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil (or whatever is on the back of the box)
- 1/3 cup Aquafaba, aerated
- Can of pineapple rings in juice (save the juice!)
- Maraschino cherries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. In a cast iron pan, melt the butter. Once melted, remove from heat, add brown sugar and stir until incorporated
3. Place pineapple rings on top of the butter/sugar mixture, cutting up the last bits to place in the little empty spaces and then pop a cherry in the holes
4. Put cake mix in a bowl and the add oil, replace the amount of water the box says with pineapple juice from the can. If it’s not quite the measurement on the box, you can add a little water to it to make sure it is enough liquid. Also replace the eggs with aquafaba. Mix cake batter.
5. Gently pour batter on top of the fruit and bake for about 45 minutes (depending on the temperature of your oven). You can use a toothpick to see if it’s done if you’re unsure
6. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and put a heat resistant plate on top of the cast iron and flip over to release the beauty and enjoy warm or room temp