It’s starting to finnnnnally feel like fall here in Pennsylvania! I ate a lot of crap this past week and figured it was time for some vegetables!
Let me be clear, I didn’t just want a salad. I still like to eat hearty food as a vegan! I ain’t got time for ‘rabbit food’, as the sayers nay.
I’ve never made a pot pie, even as a meat eater. But today, today I made a Vegan Pot Pie and it was everything I wanted it to be!
- 2 vegan pie crusts (I used the pre-made ones, but you can click for Food52’s recipe)
- Vegan Gravy (click for my easy recipe)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 bag frozen broccoli
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees F
- Defrost your vegetables according to the package. I just threw mine in some boiling water for a few minutes and then drained well. You don’t want extra water in your pot pie. If you got steam fresh, just pop them in the microwave. Or you could leave your frozen veg in the fridge overnight and voila!
- Chop your onion. You can throw it in as is, but I actually sautéed mine in the sauce pan I then used to make the gravy, getting up all the bits on the bottom. That made my gravy have a little extra delicious onion flavor.
- Once your vegetables and gravy are prepped, put your pie crust in your pie pan. Make sure to use a deep one, more like the apple pie sized ones instead of the pumpkin pie sized ones.
- Mix your veggies and gravy together and add salt and pepper to your liking. I also added a little crushed red pepper for some spice, if you like heat. Then pour them into your pie.
- Top with the other pie crust and crimp the edges together really well so that nothing leaks out.
- Cut a few little vent slits on top.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until your crust is cooked thoroughly. You don’t want a soggy bottom, as Mary Berry would say.
- Make sure you let it cool for at least 20 minutes so it doesn’t all come running out at you when you cut it.