Y’all stressing about Thanksgiving started making me stress! So I decided to start hooking you up with my Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes!
We shall start with a deliciously creamy Green Bean Casserole with the quintessential fried onions!
- 1 cup chopped onion (or you can use chopped mushrooms for the traditional style)
- 1/4 cup vegan ‘butter’
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup veggie stock/broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)
- 3 – 14.5 Oz cans of green beans (about 5 cups worth), drained
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fried onions
- In a saucepan on medium heat, sauté your chopped onions (or mushrooms) then remove from the pan.
- Place the same pan back on the stove and turn down to low. Then add your vegan butter and let melt.
- Once it has melted, add your flour and whisk continuously for about 1 minute, to cook out that flour flavor.
- Slowly add your veggie stock and nondairy milk, whisking well until there are no more clumps.
- Turn up the heat to high. Once it just slightly begins to bubble, turn the heat back down to medium and whisk for 5 minutes. After that 5 minutes, add your sautéed onions (or mushrooms) into the pan and continue whisking for another 5 minutes or more. You are looking for a thick gravy like texture.
- In a large bowl, add together your green beans, your gravy mixture, vegan sour cream, garlic, soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then mix in half of your fried onions. Pour into a baking dish and bake on a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
- Then take it out and add the rest of the fried onions on top and bake for another 5 minutes until heated through.