Mashed potatoes and gravy seem so simple, right? In the words of Dwight Schrute……FALSE.
No one wants gummy, bland, lame ass mashed potatoes and gravy. This recipe is LIT y’all!
I also give some sound advice on how to make them a day in advance so you don’t have to cook all damn day on Thanksgiving and actually spend time with your fam jam.
How To Video with EXTRA tips and tricks
Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2-2.5 lbs red potatoes
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup almond milk, room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- Cut potatoes in 1 inch sized pieces and put in a large pot.
- Fill pot up with water until about 1 inch above the potatoes. Then sprinkle about 1-2 tsp of salt in the water.
- Bring pot o potatoes to boil then turn down to simmer for about 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add room temperature vegan cream cheese and vegan butter. Using a hand mixer, lightly mash the potatoes (only a few seconds, see video for reference so they’re not gummy).
- Add room temperature milk and salt and pepper to taste, stir.
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Salt and pepper
- Melt vegan butter in a saucepan on low.
- Once melted, add flour and whisk for about a minute, just to cook out the flour flavor.
- Add a little bit of the veggie stock/broth and whisk until smooth.
- Then add the rest of the veggie stock/broth and almond milk.
- Turn up the heat to high until just boiling, then turn down to about medium heat while whisking for about 10 minutes, or until thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour on mashed potatoes and enjoy!
There are many other gravy recipes on this site that you can certainly utilize to your taste from my Vegan Biscuits and Gravy to Vegan Pot Pie to Vegan Green Bean Casserole