Most of the store bought wonton wrappers contain egg. Since I was already making my own vegan version, I figured why not make them gluten free while I’m at it.
I also wanted to make sure I shared how to bake them as well as fry them if you’re not into all that oil.
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and tricks.
- 2 cups gluten free baking flour blend
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup water
- 8 Oz container vegan cream cheese replacement
- 15 Oz can quartered Artichoke hearts
- 1/2 tsp old bay
- 1/2 tsp crushed nori
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Start boiling the water.
- While that’s boiling, mix together the GF flour blend, xanthan gum and salt. Then make a well in the center.
- Once the water has come to a boil, pour into the well while you stir everything together.
- Once it all starts clumping, pour the contents on to your countertop and begin kneading everything together with your hands for about 2 minutes until everything is incorporated.
- Cover your dough ball for 30mins-and hour. You’re just letting this rest, not rise, because there’s no yeast.
- While your dough is resting, drain your artichoke hearts and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Then blitz in a blender or food processor a couple of times until it’s shredded-ish.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the vegan cream cheese replacement, old bay, garlic powder and nori.
- Then add the blitzed artichoke hearts and mix. Set aside to marry the flavors.
- Once your dough has rested, cut into quarters so that it’s easier to work with. Begin rolling it out into super thin pieces like wonton wrappers. Be sure to flip throughout the rolling process for even rolling. And don’t be afraid to add more GF flour to the surface to prevent sticking.
- Once everything is cut in squares, begin filling each. Use some water around the edges to get them to stick together in your desired shape. Watch my video for examples.
- You can fry them for a couple minutes in a preheated pot of oil or you can bake in a 425 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven for 12-14 minutes.