This isn’t your regular ol’ salad recipe. We’re gonna make some crispy tofu and roasted chickpeas. Y’all told me not to be so judgmental towards tofu, so I paid attention and learned some of your tricks, so we’re gonna give this a whirl!
I also like to use roasted chickpeas instead of croutons for extra crunch to salads and wraps. They’re great for just a grab and go snack too for extra protein.
Be sure to watch my video for more tips and laughs!
- 15 Oz can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- Some spices (I used garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper)
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Crispy Tofu (our ‘chicken’):
- 1 block of tofu
- Vegetable broth/stock
- About 1/2 cup cornstarch
- About 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- Romaine lettuce, sliced and washed
- Wraps (you can use gluten free to make it full on gluten free)
- Extra vegan parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and dry your chickpeas on some paper towels.
- While your chickpeas are drying, drain and press your block of tofu in between two plates and paper towels with books on top, if you don’t have a tofu press.
- In a bowl, drizzle the chickpeas with EVOO and sprinkle the spices. Toss until they’re all coated and place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 30-35 minutes until crispy. Don’t be alarmed if they pop, it happens. (You can certainly omit these or make ahead of time like I do to have on hand for a snack or crunchy addition to any dish)
- Once the tofu has been pressed for about 10-15 minutes, cut the block in small cubes and marinate in vegetable broth/stock for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the tofu and toss in the cornstarch and spices until fully coated.
- Put the tofu in a preheated cast iron pan on the stove with some oil. It’s ok to do this in batches so they get cooked and browned well. You know they’re done when they’re browned and crispy.
- Now for assembly. You can put whatever you want in this bad boy but here’s how I made mine. I took a couple handfuls of lettuce, some roasted chickpeas and extra parmesan in a bowl and tossed with the vegan caesar. Then I added some of the ‘chicken’ (i.e. crispy tofu) and place in the middle of a large wrap.
- Wrap that baby up, cut in half and enjoy!