My future mother-in-law made a vegetarian broccoli and cheese soup for us when we came to visit last month. I was intrigued by the process, that I wondered if I could make a full vegan version. So, I looked up a plethora of recipes and took a ideas from some of them and made this delicious soup! Y’all! For realsies! Make this soup! It is a new weekly meal, especially on days like today when we are about to get some snow!
You can watch the full recipe video here 👉🏼 Broccoli and ‘Cheese’ Soup (Vegan) Video
- 3 heads of broccoli (this depends on how much broccoli you like and/or how big the heads are – you could also just use thawed broccoli from the freezer section if you’re looking for an easy time saver)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 3 russet potatoes
- 5 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups of water
- 1 quart of vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in water for about an hour, then drain. While you’re waiting, you can chop your broccoli in bite sized pieces and roast in the oven on 375 degrees Fahrenheit with some salt and pepper for about 30-35 minutes.
- Roughly chop your onion, peel and chop your carrot in small pieces and peel and chop your potatoes in about one inch cubes.
- Add your EVOO and onion to a pot on the stove and begin sautéing for 5 minutes. Then add your carrots, potatoes, water and a little salt to the pot and cover. Simmer your vegetables for about 25-30 minutes until they are tender and almost all of the water is absorbed. Let cool.
- Once cooled, add everything except for your broccoli to a blender or food processor. Adjust salt and pepper flavor to your liking. If you’re like me and have a small blender, its ok to do in small batches so everything gets smooth and silky.
- Return the soup to your pot and stir in the broccoli. Bring to desired heat for serving and enjoy!