Y’all know I hate mushrooms. But after those Vegan Sloppy Joes that I made last month, I knew I wanted to try something else with them cooked that way!!
My fiancé took a bite and was literally like ‘wait, there’s no meat in these?’
- 16 Oz sliced mushrooms (I used whatever was on sale, I’ve personally used button and baby bellas before)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I like the roasted kind)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO for sautéing and greasing pan
- Pulse your mushrooms and cashews about 2-3 times.
- On medium-high heat, add a bit of EVOO (or just a little bit of water if you’re trying to omit oil in your life). Add your diced onions, mushrooms and cashews to the pan.
- Sauté these for about 6 minutes, then turn down the heat a titch and continue sautéing for another 5 minutes. You want your cashew pieces to no longer be crunchy and more soft.
- Remove from heat and let rest so you can mix them with your hands.
- While you’re waiting for you mixture to cool, mix flax seed and water together and let sit for at least 5 minutes, until it becomes more gelatinous.
- In a large bowl, add ‘meat’ mixture, flax mixture, Panko, seasonings and optional roasted red peppers.
- Using your hands, mix everything together like you would a normal meatball mixture.
- Form mixture into ball sized shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- In a 375 degree oven, cook your balls for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway, for a nice crunchy delish on the outside.
- Serve on some spaghetti or as cocktail ‘meat’balls, which is how I like them the best!
3 Comments Add yours
I have to try these!!!
Yaasss!!! They’re so gooooood!!!