My momma used to always throw together a super easy eclair Cake for potlucks and get togethers. I remember being blown away when she showed me how to make it. I was like why does something so simple taste so divine and elegant?!
Then we went vegan. I wanted to make it vegan style buuuut I wanted to keep it as that original simple recipe the best I could.
Be sure to watch my video for tips and tricks!
- 3 pkgs vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 1/4 cup cold unsweetened nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 9oz tub of So Delicious Coco Whip
- About 18 vegan graham crackers
- 1 tub store bought vegan chocolate frosting
- Whisk the 3pkgs of vanilla instant pudding mix with the cold nondairy milk until well mixed and it begins to thicken.
- Fold in the coco whip and then set aside.
- In a 13×9 pan, lay down a layer of graham crackers and then spread half of the pudding/cocowhip mix on top.
- Add another layer of grahams, the rest of the pudding/cocowhip mix and another layer of grahams.
- Lastly, spread the chocolate frosting on top. You can microwave it for a few seconds to soften it a bit so it’s easier to spread.
- Cover with cling wrap and put in the fridge to set for about 4 hours.
10 Comments Add yours
Thanks for this recipe! Eclair cakes were always a hit in my home, so my family was excited when I made this while I was visiting for the holidays! None of them are vegan but they all enjoyed it, of course 🙂
The only complaint was that it was too sweet. This was definitely from the frosting I used (pillsbury) and I found myself thinking there was too much frosting and not enough cake. The plan was to just drizzle it on next time and maybe do some decoration by dragging a toothpick through the pudding and frosting on top.
However, looking back over your recipe, I think this was probably because, looking back over the recipe, I forgot the top layer off graham crackers! That would have probably evened it out. So if I do it the right way next time, it will probably taste more evenly! I was also going to try Duncan Hines or another brand of frosting to see if it was less sweet.
Even so, I was still intrigued by the idea of just drizzling it on or maybe even making patterns with the frosting directly on the top pudding layer. It’s less of a classic eclair cake, but the fun is experimenting! Thanks again!
Oh and maybe trying sugar free pudding!
Sorry for all the typos in my original response!
How long does this keep in the fridge? Can I freeze it?
I’ve never tried freezing it so I’m not sure but I know I’ve eaten leftovers days and days later in the fridge
Hi! I’m really excited to try this. Can you please tell which size pudding I need, the 4-sering or 6-serving box? Thanks in advance!
Oh I’ve never seen the 6 serving size in the instant before! My bad! It’s the 4 serving one
Thanks so much! 🙂