This week sucked balls. So I poured some bourbon on those balls for these decadent morsels of fun!
Apparently there are 2 ways to make bourbon balls and the old school southerners made it very clear on the internets that ‘if you see a recipe calling for corn syrup and vanilla wafers, RUN!’
We went old school with this super simple recipe. They’re sooooo easy to make, but you have to plan ahead for the steps.
- 1 cup chopped pecans (plus a little more to sprinkle on top afterward)
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup softened vegan ‘butter’ replacement
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 package enjoy life vegan chocolate chips
- Add bourbon to pecans and let soak overnight. I waited two days, but 4 is optimal. Stir your nuts every so often to get an even soak and add more bourbon if they’ve soaked up all that you put in there as time progresses.
- Drain your nuts and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the vegan butter until it’s more creamy and fluffier looking.
- Then slowly add the powdered sugar until it makes a sandy sort of texture.
- Stir in your bourbon nuts and you’ll start to see the mixture come together. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour but the longer the better for the vegan butter to firm back up.
- Scoop balls onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet and roll in your hands gently.
- Place balls in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate.
- For a quick temper to your chocolate, heat half of your bag either on a double broiler or in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Once the chocolate is just melted, take off the heat and add the rest of the chocolate and stir until it melts completely.
- Dip your balls and sprinkle the extra chopped pecans on top. If the inside Filling is too soft, keep it in the freezer until it dips easier.