I saw savory jams all over Pinterest and wanted to try my hand at it to see what it was like.
I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a ‘jam’, it reminds me much of a caramelized onion with a balsamic glaze. I will say, though, that after being in he fridge overnight, it was much more ‘Jam-like’ than right after it cooled.
I recommend putting it on top of my Vegan Rosemary Biscuits . The Rosemary compliments the sweetly savory flavor of the jam.
- 5 onions (I used 3 red and 2 white)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp of oil of your choice
- Halve your onions and then thinly slice them. I used a mandolin for this because it’s a lot of onions.
- Put oil in a large pan on the stove on medium heat.
- Add onions and sweat them out for about 20 minutes, until they are just starting to slightly brown.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook onions for another 45 minutes, until all the liquid is gone and they’re a thick ‘jam-like’ consistency.
- Let cool and store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge. They will last a little over a week.